R.J. Starr has over 15 years of experience in delivering valuation analyses to both individuals and to corporate enterprises. As a member of Andersen Tax’s Valuation Services Group, R.J. has specialized in the valuation of closely held businesses, business interests, intangible assets, intellectual property, debt instruments, derivatives (including stock options and option-embedded securities), and capital equipment assets. These engagements were conducted for a variety of purposes, including financial reporting; tax planning and reporting; strategic planning; mergers and acquisitions; litigation support; restructuring; and bankruptcy.
Before joining Andersen Tax, R.J. was with Arthur Andersen, and then was a manager with Huron Consulting Group where he focused primarily on corporate valuation issues related to mergers and acquisitions, litigation, and strategic consulting. R.J. holds the Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA-BV) designation.
Services provided on recent engagements include:
- Purchase price allocations and impairment analyses related to FASB ASC Topic 805: Business Combinations and FASB ASC Topic 350: Intangibles – Goodwill and Other, including preparation of responses related to comments from the SEC
- Valuation consulting related to tax planning and compliance, including appraisals performed for estate and gift tax reporting, and domestic and international tax planning (including reorganizations, restructuring, and ownership/control changes)
- Common stock valuations for tax and financial reporting to comply with Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code and FASB ASC Topic 718: Compensation – Stock Compensation
- Performance of financial advisory services related to companies in bankruptcy (development of reorganization values; appraisal work for fresh start accounting)
- Financial analysis to assist with business planning, acquisitions, and joint venture formation
- Valuation of stock options and complex option-embedded securities for dispute and litigation purposes
- Valuation of life insurance policies for tax planning and reporting purposes